Each squadron’s activities involve the three primary objectives of USPS: community service, continuing education, and enjoying the friendship and camaraderie of our fellow members
Local squadrons offer boating safety courses on a regular basis to boaters in our communities. These courses are open to the public and there is no age limit for participants. USPS squadrons have offered these courses for over half a century and have educated more than 3 million boaters to date. Successfully completing a USPS boating safety course meets the educational requirements for boat operation in all states.
In a cooperative program with the US Coast Guard Auxiliary, squadron members conduct courtesy Vessel Safety Checks of boats at the request of their owners. To learn more about this program, and how to get your boat checked, click here
Our members also help the National Ocean Service keep our nautical charts accurate by reporting chart corrections, and our local squadrons participate in many other community improvement projects.
Every squadron offers many carefully planned courses in subjects like Seamanship, Piloting, Plotting and Position Finding, Celestial Navigation, Cruise Planning, Engine Maintenance, Marine Electronics, Sailing, and much more. These courses are taught by experienced member instructors, and members who complete them are recognized.
Participating both on-the-water and off with fellow members who are skilled in boating is a rewarding and enjoyable experience. On-the-water activities include cruises, rendezvous, sail races, navigation contests and even fishing derbies. Activities ashore include meetings with marine programs, parties, dinner-dances, picnics and field trips
USPS is a private, non-profit, non-governmental, and non-military organization of men, women and families who are socially compatible and have a common love of recreatioanal boating. There are no barriers to membership on the grounds of gender, race, religion or ethnic background. USPS is comprised of some 45,000 members in approximately 450 local Squadrons in virtually every state, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and more distant areas where Americans. congregate. USPS is the world’s largest private boating organization.
The USPS Educational Program is diverse and challenging. It offers to the members the promise of greater enjoyment and safety in their own boating activities. In addition, the Educational Program offers the satisfaction of personal accomplishment, and the opportunity to share with others the knowledge and skills the individual member has acquired.
If you are interested in learning more about USPS, please contact the toll free national help line 1-888-FOR-USPS. You can also visit the USPS National web site at http://www.usps.org.
- Learn from our experienced instructors.
- Advanced Grade, Elective, and Learning Guide materials are continuallly updated to prepare our members for the 21st century.
- Self-study courses are available on a variety of subjects.
- On the Water activities, cruises, rendezvous, sail races, fishing derbies, and more.
- For the relatively new boater – another boater with whom to cruise
- Squadron social events, parties, picnics.
- Dinner dances, speakers of interest.
- Youth programs involve your children in boating.
- Joint programs with the Department of Natural Resources and the U. S. Coast Guard.
- Participation in various community projects. Boat Shows, National Safe Boating Week.
- Service to NOAA by providing revisions to existing charts through our Cooperative Charting Program.
- Most comprehensive boat insurance.
- Low rates with additional discounts for educational achievements.
- Special claims consideration.
- Personal attention
- Call USPS Boat Insurance Program at (800) 763-8777.
- Extensive listing of USPS members to assist you in unfamiliar waters and cities.
Timely and informative boating and USPS information received via The Ensign® magazine. District and Squadron publications
501(c)(3) status allows personal tax deductions for selected USPS expenses for Squadron, District, and National participation
- Airline discounts available through Delta and American.
- Auto rental discounts and upgrades available through Hertz and Alamo.